Sunday, August 16, 2009

Geocoin travels to Germany

It's been a while since I've blogged about geocaching, and I'm hoping to do some more in the fall when the weather gets cooler. But today I found out that our geocoin has travelled to Germany. A geocoing is a special coin made for geocaching with a unique code on it. The owner of the coin logs the coin and its code at Geocaching.com and then places it in a cache. When someone finds the cache, they can take the coin with them and place it in another cache. And the next person takes it to another cache and so on. Each person who moves the coin logs an entry at Geocaching.com so we can follow its trip. We placed our coin in a cache in Charlotte last year. It travelled around Charlotte for a while, then made it to the mountains, then Illinois. Someone in Illinois found it and logged that they were going to take it to Germany. We hadn't heard from it for a while, but I just got news today that someone found it in a cache in Germany! The log entry is in German and Casey doesn't remember any of his German from college, so we don't really know what it says. I guess I need to use BabelFish to translate it. Anyway, woo-hoo to our geocoin!

A refresher for those who don't remember my earlier caching posts:
A treaure hunt
The curse of the pirates' treasure

No comments: