Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Conversations with Charlie!

Charlie's verbal skills have expanded into complete sentences, so now I can capture some of his best thoughts on my blog!  Sometimes what he says is more of a relection on his parents lifestyle, so it is with some emabarrassment that I share the following with you:

Politics and Race

For the past few months, we've been getting Time, Newsweek and U.S. News and World Report and with the recent conventions and other election news, our coffee table is littered with cover pictures of Obama and McCain.  So we used this opportunity to teach the boys about our future leaders. 

At the DMV the other day, Charlie pointed to an African-American women on the other side of the room and started saying "Barack Obama - Barack Obama."  It took a couple repetitions for me to figure out what he was saying, but the lady sitting next to him picked up on it and laughingly said, "He's saying 'Barack Obama!'"

However, baldness apparently trumps blackness.  The hair on my brother's head doesn't quite cover it the way it used to.  At the gas station the following week, a bald, black man was filling up his car next to us.  Charlie pointed to him and said "Uncle Nay-Nay, Uncle Nay-Nay!" 

Potty Talk

I'm amazed at how easily kids pick up on complex grammatic rules.  Charlie already knows to to switch the first person/second person pronouns when repeating a phrase.  For example after he hits his brother, I say "Tell Coulson you're sorry," and he knows to say "I'm sorry."  (I know, you can totally tell I'm a language teacher since I pick up on these small things - and this switch often created some funny conversations when I was teaching English-as-a-second-language.)

So tonight my husband took him to the restroom and while they were there he tried to teach him "urinal" but Charlie kept repeating "myinal."

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: