

Well, we're back home again and we actually ended up having a great time despite Coulson's injury. His cut shouldn't get soaked in water, but little splashes here and there were okay. Since he wasn't much of an underwater swimmer (note the usage of the past tense! I'll try to update his swimming skills in my next post. Also, note to Nanna and G'pa bud - you should bring your bathing suits this weekend) keeping his head mostly dry didn't stifle his swimming habits. We continued to have a great time at the ocean and in the pool.
We got body boards so we could "catch some waves" and both boys (but Coulson especially) enjoyed going out with us deeper in the ocean to "jump the waves." Charlie loved playing in the sand, especially if we would dig out a big hole that would fill up with a little water and he loved jumping in the hole, or simply sitting in the hole. When we would leave the beach and wash off his feet, he would cry and whine over the tiniest bit of sand still remaining in his shoes, but on the beach he would literally roll around in the sand and shovel it on top of his head. So I didn't offer much compassion for the few grains left in his shoes.
Another interesting aspect of this vacation - I actually enjoyed the ocean. My prior position was that I liked the smell and sound of the ocean, but not the water or sand. My ideal beach vacation is the pool at the hotel right next to the beach. But as a testament of my love for Casey, I have tolerated these sandy beach vacations, even as my kids threw sand on me and in my hair and in my soda can and in my book and then climbed into my bare lap for hugs and cuddles. Let's just say I love my husband a lot. So anyway, if you've ever gone to the beach with me, it will shock you to learn that I actually got in the water, waded past the waves, used the body board, played in the water with the boys - it was great! The water was not cold at all, and that made all the difference. I still didn't like the sand, that hasn't changed.
We also enjoyed mini-golf and ice cream. My brother and his family also happened to be vacationing at the beach, so we met up with them one night for a good all-American all-you-can-eat-fried-seafood buffet and then some 3-D Dinosaur Imax shows. There were some thunderstorms, but only in the evenings. A very nice family vacation!
1 comment:
I'm a "pool at the hotel right next to the beach" kind of girl. I like to sit on a chair on the sand and wiggle my toes in the sand, but that's about it. And Steve likes to be in the water a lot. Between hair and contacts and just the taste of the water, I much prefer hopping in a pool to cool off. Kudos to you for getting dirty with the boys! (Not to mention your kick-ass triathlon!)
Post a Comment