Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A shameful "been there, done that" confession...

**I have removed the automatic links in this post because one of my readers has reported acquiring an ugly virus from the website after following my link. I have left the web addresses if you want to go ahead and look up the website anyway**

So a few weeks ago Casey introduced me to the blog www.peopleofwalmart.com and I've been wanting to share this gem with my readers. It's basically a website that posts pictures of people at Wal-mart wearing the craziest outfits or doing the strangest things. The pictures come from all over, submitted by regular people who witness these horrendous acts against humanity. If you haven't been to this website yet, take some time to go through the pictures (actually the pictures that are on the front page currently as I am blogging this aren't the best examples, but go back a few pages to get the whole idea; or maybe by the time you're reading this there will be some new ones up...)
I simply cannot get over how bizarre the outfits are! If the pictures didn't so obviously look like people quickly snapped them with their camera phones, I would think that they were staged. But they are real people. And what really has my head spinning is the massive number of submissions - the website has multiple pictures each day! Where do these people come from???? I totally need to shop at Wal-mart more often just for sheer entertainment!

Well, I've been wanting to blog about this site for a while, but what was the impetus that made me actually write the post today? Here's my shameful confession: I connected with a picture that I saw today because I could say "been there, done that." And I was wondering where these people came from! Anyway, check out this photo -

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?p=6600
It Feels Like a Midget Hanging From My Necklace

Although in my defense my situation was a bit different in that:
  1. I was holding my baby properly and not trying to push a cart
  2. I was wearing a shirt that covered all of my skin
  3. I wasn't at a Wal-mart, I was at an Ollies (slogan "good stuff cheap") which is kinda like a lower class Big Lots. And I've probably done it at other stores too, I just don't remember them as well - although when I did it at Barnes & Nobles and Michaels I found a nice quiet aisle where I could sit down...
If this next kid is anything like his oldest brother, the marathon nurser, I'm planning to master the art of slinging and feeding. But I'll be fully covered.

No comments: