Monday, June 28, 2010

He looks forward to being "in a grade"

So Coulson's last day of school was a few weeks ago and he's no longer a kindergartner. I had a mini-conference with his teacher the other day and he's doing great in the three "R"s. He's in the advanced reading group in his class and has no problems with anything, but he when I told him that I had a conference with his teacher and she said that he'll be ready for 1st grade, he showed visible signs of relief that he passed kindergarten, as if there were some doubt about moving up. I guess it's good to never take anything for granted.

A couple days before the end of school, all the kindergartners presented their parents with a wonderful musical program. Coulson has severe stage fright - when we joined our church a few months ago, while we were in front of the congregation, he hid behind me so no one could see him. Whenever the kids at church sing in the front for us, he refuses to join them. So I was amazed that he not only got up in front with his class, but he also sang the songs and did all the hand motions. It was a very nice program. Casey had to work initially and had a hard time finding a substitute for his shift, but finally the day before, he was able to switch shifts. My parents were out of town, but Casey's mom was able to come for the program, so that was a nice surprise to make the celebration more special for Coulson. Afterward, we went out for lunch at Coulson's favorite restaurant (Golden Corral, because you don't have to wait for your food) with his best friend's family.

Coulson had a great year at school. We were concerned at first because we didn't know what to expect or how Coulson would adapt to school, but I have to say that everything went extremely well. He's very social and he made a lot of friends. He seems to enjoy learning, which to me is the most important part of kindergarten (learning to love learning) and hope he can carry that attitude throughout life. He has gotten the notion that kids are expected to not like school, so he will say say that he's glad school's out and say that he doesn't like school. But when we ask him specifics, our conversations go like this:
Me: What don't you like about school?
C: I don't know
Me: Do you like your friends?
C: Yes.
Me: Your teachers?
C: Yes.
Me: Learning to read?
C: Yes.
Me: Math and numbers?
C: Yes.
Me: Playing on the playground?
C: Yes.
Me: Art?
C: Yes.
Me: Music?
C: Yes.
Me: Homework?
C: Yes.
Me: Worksheets?
C: Yes.
Me: Media Center? (Library)
C: No.
Me: Why not?
C: I can't find any good books.
So other than navigating the media center, I think he actually likes school.

1 comment:

Christi said...

I can't believe Coulson is going to be in first grade!